Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Grand Canyon

I think everyone knows what this place is all about...if you dont? GO!  This place is of particular interest to me as it is the subject of much of what I teach and am currently conducting my dissertation research on.  If you haven't yet visited the canyon I have a few suggestions for you:
- Definitely hike into the canyon via Grandview, South Kaibab, or Bright Angel Trail.  There is nothing quite like this in the world.
- The view from the North Rim is exponentially better than from the South Rim...at least that's my opinion.
- If you're a musician, hiking the South Kaibab Trail to Skeleton Point with my guitar was possibly one of the most incredible experiences in my life.  Playing Beatles songs half way into the canyon gave me feeling about as close to euphoria as I have ever felt.

Back to the science...

My opinion on how it formed?  Right here: by Lake Overflow-pdf

Other ideas of how it formed? Right here: Pederson, 2008, GSA Today -origin of Colorado River and Grand Canyon

This is nice video on the subject of the Grand Canyon's formation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeBPKE5eDU0

Geologic History? Right here: http://alliance.la.asu.edu/gph211/GrandCanyon/presentationstuff/gc%20presentation/index.htm
landforms/rock













So, what do I listen to at the Grand Canyon?  Here are a few...


And, if you're in need of refreshment? A quick drive (little over an hour) to Flagstaff can satisfy that need. There are three very nice breweries downtown and the town is a high country gem.  Love that place!


No comments:

Post a Comment